Friday, February 6, 2015

Haley Monson, animator

Introducing Haley Monson, one of two student artists working on "The Village of Kepuhi" sand animation. Haley is a third-year Animation major at the University of the Arts, Philadelphia.

When I began to research for a fuller understanding of the story "The Village of Kepuhi," I first looked at Ellie Crowe's and Elan Penn's wonderful book Hawaii: A Pictorial Celebration. I immediately fell in love with the landscapes and wanted to learn more of the history. While researching costumes for the Kahuna, I was particularly struck by the gourd masks. I tried to incorporate their designs into the sand as best as I could, which is another aspect I love about this project - the sand. The initial challenge of using sand is slowly becoming an easier (or harder, depending on how the day is going) task. I find it really interesting how the medium relates to the cultural context of our subject, and also how it represents a great exploration into new forms of storytelling. I am looking forward to learning more of Hawai'i's beautiful culture and exploring this very tactile form of visual storytelling.

Haley Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment