Friday, February 6, 2015

Christopher Magee, animator

Hello!

I teach animation at the University of the Arts, in Philadelphia, PA. My classes include technical and content-oriented foci, and, as the child of a mixed race couple, I have a keen interest in using animation as a vehicle for exploring cultural difference and cultural assumption.

Having grown up in Hawai'i on the islands of O'ahu and Maui, I would like to use my skills to investigate Hawaiian culture through visual and audio representation. Hawai'i is a beautiful place, and one realizes this even more when one leaves it after having grown up there. My aim is to provide workshop participants the opportunity to dig beneath the surface, still often trivialized, of indigenous culture, its values, aesthetic, and traditions. In addition to visual research into Hawaiian imagery, we will be seeking local musicians and cultural representatives in an effort to create a short film that is authentically informed, and the scope of which goes beyond mere entertainment.

Christopher Magee

No comments:

Post a Comment